Saturday, October 20, 2012

The Lesson-Or Should I Call it Epiphany?


I had always fantasized about having my own separate room-a room where I am free to do whatever I want without any fear of lurking eyes or voyeuristic gazes-a room where I can sit and continue to contemplate, dream, fantasize, brainstorm and think-a room where I can come back and have a peaceful monologue with myself. Now, after a span of 25 long years, that fantasy has somehow materialized. But the irony is I have suddenly realized that I was chasing only a mirage. As I try to savior every moment of my ‘Dream room’, a sense of nostalgia and fear begins to engulf me. What I thought of as peace has actually turned out to be isolation. The feeling of boredom continues to manifest itself as sudden bouts of frustration and anger. How can I consider a life as utopian if I have no one to talk to when feel like chatting? What is the point of a double bed if the only space I need to sleep is 1/6th of that space? What has happened has taught me a beautiful lesson-a lesson not abstruse or unknown –but a truism which has been told and retold so often that you consider that as a cliché or hyperbole. The lesson is that “The basic need of humans is human interaction”. You may consider this as the intimacy/friendship need of Maslow’s need hierarchy or as part of any such manifold theories. The moot point is that irrespective of how much money, power, comfort or peace one has, life appears empty and void if you have no one to share that happiness with. Every other need is secondary, only interaction need is primary. You may reject my hypothesis as a blabber of an upper /middle class brat who has never felt the pain of hunger or insecurity of homelessness. Though I may not have encountered them in their most horrific form, but I have not been totally alien to these things. I have experienced them in their subtle forms, and believe me the pain of isolation is much greater than the pangs of hunger or wretched home. Lastly, the above thoughts of mine are totally unbiased –they have no bearing to my introversion or extroversion, my elated or dejected mood and my anger or love.

2 comments:

  1. Ur missing VIT dorms i guess :)
    I didn't have a room mate till I was 22 and I came to USA. It's a good experience and I never realized what I was missing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha..Yes I am so used to living in crowded rooms that single rooms haunt me..:)

    ReplyDelete